06 March 2010

Are we adulterated?


Adulterated

As I grow older something’s seem to get easier and some more difficult.
One of the things that got more difficult was making friends.

From the time I was in Kindergarten till I left school, friendships were spontaneous, effortless and uninhibited. Friendship was joyful and genuine.
It mattered not whether they were rich or poor, or what religious beliefs their parents held.

My play partners, companions and friends mostly enjoyed my company and I theirs. Disagreements took place all the time, but were quickly forgiven and more readily forgotten. Fights may have left scars on the body but not in the heart. I wanted for nothing, and we shared what we had willingly.

I remember that in the ninth grade I left boarding school to become a day scholar in the same Bishop School.
A great pleasure for me was, at each weekend cycling from home to school carrying a large quantity of tasty Parathas prepared by my Aunt for my famished boarding school friends.
I had even forgotten about this until my friend Abbas reminded me recently.


In college it was still easy making friends. Friendships were still born out of the voice of the heart but I also started using a bit of my brain.
Exposure to new and wicked pleasures normally numbed the mind.
Once the novelty wore off, I made a new set of friends. These were people I had developed a healthy respect for. These were folks who challenged me to make me a better person. Many still remain good friends

Being a Punjabi and a Sikh, we are used to being jovial, big hearted, and a little crazy. I like to believe I have a good sense of humour, a large encyclopaedia of jokes. These are all the ingredients to be popular and to make friends.
I realised soon enough that humour is a great thing, particularly if you can laugh at yourself.


Once I was working professionally befriending people was easy, after all I had become practised at it. However the friendships were often less than genuine. Hidden agendas with manipulation and exploitation often overshadowed genuine likings. At this stage befriending people with a view to exploiting them is understood and accepted. Maybe it’s a social thing.
During the most dynamic period of my career genuine friendships mostly eluded me. Many ‘friends’ were customers and professional associates.
The period when I work hard I liked to party hard. Party animals, and partners in vice were the preferred ‘friends’.

Here is a question;
What is the difference between men and boys?
‘The cost of their toys”.


When you party too hard or are having too much fun it begins to bother your parents. My parents wanted to get me married at the earliest.
Dad kept saying that youth in the heart and body, time on hand and money in the pocket was a recepie for trouble
I kept refusing to get married until I met Mohini, then I was hooked.

They say ‘A man is incomplete until he gets married, then he is finished.’

After marriage, making friends got extremely complex, marital couples have to be normally friendly in pairs. Rules of friendship at this stage are formal and are confusing.
I soon learnt that the visas for my bachelor friends to my home were cancelled. This was inevitable because they had distractive and inappropriate tendencies like getting inebriated, and running wild and speaking the truth.

Hey! Boys will be boys, doesn’t cut it here at this stage.

As our children grew up all the pair friends were the parents of our children’s classmates. This is a passing phase and has no real impact in most cases. However, some become so dear that they are still considered as part of our family.

Once I had achieved some degree of professional success, I began to think no end of myself. I could not enjoy genuine friendships.

Isn’t that a shame that material success often makes people so pompous and often insecure?


I thought a lot about these things and decided to put down my thoughts to paper (computer really).

• Why do we change?
• Why do we stop trusting, loving or befriending?

I like many others bandy about terms without really pausing to think what they really mean. What did I understand by the term friendship?

Putting on an act of being someone else is pretty exhausting. Deception is often short lived and corrodes the soul gradually and certainly.

In my dictionary, ‘A friend’ is someone with whom you can be yourself.

I found an interesting correlation between age that is becoming an adult and getting adulterated. I believed I was getting less pure with age.
I looked up the dictionary and found the meaning of the words ‘adult’ and ‘adulterated’.
Adult comes from the Latin word ‘adultus’ meaning grown up.
Adulterated from the Latin word ‘adulterare’ meaning to corrupt.

The more I aged the more adulterated I became.

What caused this corruption (or adulteration)?
I wonder if any of you have thoughts on this.

6 comments:

  1. Guru, very nice. very simply and beautifully you have penned (Keyboarded) down your thoughts.

    I share a little story

    Little girl and her father were crossing a bridge.
    The father was kind of scared so he asked his little daughter,
    'Sweetheart, please hold my hand so that you don't fall into the river.'
    The little girl said, 'No, Dad. You hold my hand.'
    'What's the difference?' Asked the puzzled father.
    'There's a big difference,' replied the little girl.

    'If I hold your hand and something happens to me,
    chances are that I may let your hand go.
    But if you hold my hand, I know for sure that no matter what happens,
    you will never let my hand go.'

    In any relationship, the essence of trust is not in its bind, but in its bond.

    So hold the hand of the person who loves you rather than expecting them to hold yours...

    ReplyDelete
  2. THE MAGIC OF THINKING BIG by David Schwartz

    There is nothing magical nor mystical about the power of belief. Belief works this way. Belief, the ‘I am positive, I can’ attitude, generates the power, skill and energy needed to do. When you believe I - can – do - it, the know- to- do- it develops. Think success, don’t think failure. Disbelief is negative power. When the mind disbelieves or doubts, the mind attracts ‘reasons’ to support the disbelief. Doubt, disbelief, the subconscious will to fail, the not really wanting to succeed, is responsible for most failures. At work, home, substitute success thinking for failure thinking. When you face a difficult situation, think I’wll win, not, I ‘ll probably lose. When opportunity appears, think, I can do it, never, I can’t. Remind yourself regularly that you are better than you think you are.
    Successful people are not supermen. Success does’nt require super intellect. Nor is there anything mystical about success. And success is’nt based on luck. Believe BIG. The size of your success is determined by the size of your belief. Think little goals and expect little achievements. Think big goals and win big success. Remember, this too ! Big ideas and big plans are often easier – certainly no more difficult – than small ideas and small plans. Belief is the thermostat that regulates what we accomplish in life. A person is the product of his own thoughts. Believe Big. Adjust your thermostat. Launch your success offensive with honest, sincere belief that you can succeed. Believe Big and grow Big.
    My thoughts :
    1. Mentally construct the path you wish to take. Plan to the last detail. Have plan ‘B’ in place before implementing plan ‘A’.
    Create small steps to achieve Big Goals.
    2. What is ‘Belief’ ? It is really the way we are thinking. Keep revisiting yourself from time to time to see how you are thinking.
    3. Hunger for success. How hungry are you ? It is easy and very comfortable to be satisfied with what you have achieved. Do not sit on your laurels’. Strive for more

    ReplyDelete
  3. Many people have contacted me by email and sent their comments, I will just add them here myself.

    BSKS Chopra says "that was a nice piece on friends.Thanks for the good reading".

    Jaggi Bedi says "you will have a lot of acquaintances, but only a few who you could term as friends".


    Kisan says " I can relate with what you wrote " I became business partners with friends, and as a consequence we stopped being being friends. I was angry at myself for allowing myself to become adulterated, to look at the relationship in a different light I worked at it and now I have a partner and a friend. Thanks for putting many things in perspective so succintly".

    ReplyDelete
  4. Neeta Bhayana said;

    Read ur thoughts,seems like ur becoming a philosopher. I can see a writer in u.
    I enjoyed reading ur thoughts.why don,t u pen down a book or a column-
    all the best
    neeta.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Srinivasa Rangan said;

    Nice reading your short stories & experiences.

    I am sure that we all have had similar experiences and most of us never really tried to analyse the situation with the right attitude and seldom experienced real sense of happiness or friendship or above all humility which alone can bring true sense of achievement.

    May be you should think about writing a nice book - about your own experiences in industry and real life - could be an eyeopener especially for the new generation who seem to be running without any aims except success in their business at any cost - even quality of their own lives.

    But I can truthfully say that not many of us were any better - probably the same mental attitude.

    Pl keep it up & best regards to you and your loving family

    N.S.Rangan

    ReplyDelete
  6. Peter D'souza said;
    Hi Rainy!

    I love your regular stream of artiles! Thank you so much. You are quickly becoming a ‘true’ friend to me, because you care to write about things that are so meaningful and are helping me to grow as a person!

    Regarding this question of ‘are we adulterated’, I would say YES, most of us adults become adulterated (unfortunately!) as we grow older, because the false pretenses of material wealth, positions & titles, fool us into associating with people that believe in the same ‘false’ things! We end up living in a fool’s paradise, filled with material things and false friends, and we give up the pure innocence of childlike pleasures such as being HONEST and liking someone just for their sweet personality.

    How sad, that our adulteration actually moves us away from being genuine and ‘simple’ and experiencing ‘true’ friendship!

    You have certainly hit upon one of the sad ‘flaws’ of modern human society.

    Thank you for becoming my new and special friend!

    Peter D’Souza
    rosamani@comcast.net

    (I was in class with your brother Bunny at Bishop’s School, Poona)

    ReplyDelete

Entrepreneurs, professionals and entrefessional

I will digress here to explain my analysis of the difference between entreprenuers professionals & entrefessionals.  I don't really...