17 October 2011

May I have your autograph?

It was two years ago when our son Pavit was in Mumbai and dropped in  at the Bharat Petroleum pump on Bandra Linking road to meet his young uncle Amarprit Sawhney (Amar).  They chatted for a while when they were interrupted by one of the employees. The employee was asking for permission to leave to go to the home of one of legendary Indian cricketer Sachin Tendulkar.

Sachin possessed a Ferrari car gifted to him by the Fiat company for Sachin's outstanding performance in one of the tournaments. The vehicle needed special fuel to operate and this was  supplied by the oil giant Bharat Petroleum (BPCL).  Amar's petrol station is well reputed for its excellent service and efficiency, therefore BPCL had requested Amar to personally take care of the select prestigious clients, such as Sachin Tendulkar.

Amar asked Pavit if he would like to meet Mr. Tendulkar.
Which right thinking youngster n India could turn down such an invitation?

They loaded the special fuel into the vehicle and they set off for Sachin's home.
As luck would have it, while the technician did the check up and pumped the fuel, Sachin strolled out from his house.

After exchanging greetings, they began to chat. Pavit recalls how modest and soft spoken the great cricketer was. They chatted about many things and then Pavit asked Sachin "I would have thought you more comfortable in a Mercedes car rather than in the simple cars parked in your driveway."

Sachin responded "We Tendulkars are simple folks, we believe in simple living." I have been presented with many cars icluding 37 Mercedes cars."
Pavit asked "Thirty seven Mercedes cars? How do you manage so many cars? Where do you fit them?"
Sachin replied " I do not  need to fit them. I have gifted them all to friends and relatives. You cannot believe how happy it made them and how much I enjoyed sharing my things with people I love."

He then offered Pavit to sit in the Ferrari. Pavit was ecstatic with the experience.
After a while as Pavit and Amar  were leaving. Pavit could't resist asking Sachin for an autograph. When Sachin saw that Pavit had nothing to take the autograph on he smiled and said "Wait here, I will be right back."
Sachin returned a few minutes later with a note book pulled out a leaf  and autographed it in front of Pavit.

Gushing with excitement at having met such a great and true man. He called us up at home to share the experience.

When he returned home,  he narrated his experience to us in great detail.  I asked to see the autograph. He sheepishly said "I don't have it, I gave it to a friend."
Mohit his elder brother screamed at him " Are you crazy? Why did you do such a daft thing?"

Pavit said " I learnt many things from Sachin Tendulkar in the short time I was able to spend with him. I gave the autograph to my friend Akhil because it would mean so much to him"

It was another day for us to learn so much more about friendship, modesty and greatness.

12 comments:

  1. Zahir Meher-Homji said;


    Ah yes...simple truths learned from a simple but great man. Im surprised you never told me this story as you knew that Sachin is an acquaintance?

    Tell Pavit he is a chip off the old block and should be proud.
    Back to work tomorrow after 8 weeks---went in for a rundown today and almost ran out !! It will take a few days to settle in I guess.
    Keep the articles coming..
    Lv
    Z

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nk Shrivastav said;
    Liked it .Thanks! NKS

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pranav Desai Said;
    Gurvinder,


    Besides your son, I congratulate you and your wife for the action of your son Pavit in sharing his trophy of Sachin Tendulkar's autograph.

    It is the culture and the character of sharing that you as a parents nurtured in your son.

    Congratulations.

    Pranav
    Pranavdesai

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anoop desai said;
    Good one, thanks.

    Anoop Desai

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jimmy Kapadia said;
    ovely Guru, lovely.

    regards,
    Jimmy
    Kapadia Jimmy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Balu Monie said;

    Dear Gurvinder,
    Truly inspiring and well written article.
    I was really impressed at the way Sachin's humility and simplicity rubbed off so quickly on Pavit!!If you ever need my autograph I would be delighted to give it to you !!!
    B.Monie/Mumbai

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anish Poojara said;

    Nice.
    Thanks for posting.
    anish

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rajesh Ambikan said;
    Dear Guruvinder,

    I am really, truly impressed! He is afterall your son. Not just what he saw from Sachin, but he has the inbuilt character of his Dad more than anything else.

    These are values that are missing in kids these days, but God is giving your kid and mine, a hunger to do things that will make his parents proud, and more than anyone, make GOD proud!

    Kind regards


    Rajesh Ambikan

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hiten Vasa said;

    A beautiful anecdote
    and what a lesson.

    Warm wishes to Mohini, your sons and you.

    Hiten

    ReplyDelete
  10. Neeta Bhayana said;

    Rainy Veerji compile a book of your own. You really write well and good stuff. I"ll look forward to reading your book.
    Neeta

    ReplyDelete
  11. Akhil Agarwal said;


    And guess my stupidity uncle I thought he was pulling my leg about autograph

    Akhil.

    ReplyDelete

Entrepreneurs, professionals and entrefessional

I will digress here to explain my analysis of the difference between entreprenuers professionals & entrefessionals.  I don't really...