04 May 2010

Being SPIRITUAL is different from being RELIGIOUS

We have often heard the phrase 'Religious fanatic' but it is doubtful if we have ever heard of a 'Spiritual fanatic'.

I too like many other people had made the mistake of thinking of religion and spirituality as one and the same thing.
We claim we are Sikhs, Hindus, Muslims, Buddhists, Christians etc, simply because we are born to parents who made the same claim, like their parents before them. Most of us are mere zombies mindlessly following practices and rituals. Do we really follow the teachings of Christ, or Buddha, the Guru or Prophet?

Their comes a time when we begin to seek answer to such questions? If we are lucky we find someone who provides us some answers. If we are blessed and extremely fortunate we need not be told, for our answers will be born out of our own experiences.

We discover spirituality in many ways and this is one incident that helped me to become a less religious but more spiritual person.

I had to attend to business in Allahabad (Uttar Pradesh) and decided to fly from Delhi to Benares and then drive on to Allahabad.
Located on the banks of the holy river Ganga, Benares is one of the oldest continuously inhabited cities in the world and the oldest of India.

As I sat down in my aircraft seat and buckled myself in, I noticed two South Indian gentlemen, dressed in their traditional clothing of Lungi and shirt but they were barefooted.

It is rare, even for us Indians to see barefooted passengers on an aircraft. This however was not the only eye opener.

As is my habit I always greet my co-passengers and converse with them. If I am lucky I am able to engage them in a debate. This is a tremendous opportunity to learn about random matters and opinions which I am rarely exposed to during my other social interactions. I was intrigued with my fellow travellers and we started to converse.

Residents of Malaysia, my co-passengers were Dr Arjunan Balasubramaniam and Swanand . They remarked that they were on their yearly pilgrimage to various holy Hindu shrines in India. I learnt a little later that Arjunan is amongst Malaysia's leading attorneys and Swanand manages his own shipping company.

They planned to visit the Kashi Vishwanath temple at Benares dedicated to Lord Shiva and then bathe in the holy Ganga adjoining the temple.


I with my curious but immature mind remarked to Arjunan that it was quite obvious that he worshipped Lord Shiva, and Arjunan must be very religious to undertake this pilgrimage every year.

Arjunan responded, "I worship the One True lord and all his manifestations, including Lord Shiva.". He further added, "On the contrary I am not religious at all, but I am deeply spiritual."

I was puzzled. This was a revelation for me and I began to think, I always used the words religion and spirituality interchangeably believing them to mean the same thing. This interaction planted the seeds of a friendship. We decided to hang out together in Benares.

We arrived at Benares and I was appalled at what I saw. Here was one of India's most religious places, mentioned since ancient times. Hindu teachings have referred to Benares for more than twenty thousand years. The great city had been turned into an ugly mess with no discipline and garbage strewn everywhere, except at the temple premises.

Shock gave way to anger, then sadness and despair as I travelled through the city to the temple of Kashi Vishwanath, the temple of 'The King of the Universe'. The temple itself was magnificent and quite clean but the surrounding areas was indescribably bad. Food was strewn everywhere, dogs, cattle, monkeys abounded in their feasting of the food so wasted and discarded on the roads and by-lanes by 'devotees'.

We washed up and entered the temple and paid our obeisance. The vibrations from within the temple were overpowering and soothing to the soul. My anger and despair was transformed into hope as I bowed and surrendered to Him, and said a silent prayer.
For fleeting moments I felt calm before I was rudely shoved by people standing behind me, waiting for their turn to transact whatever they had come for.

I emerged from the temple recharged, and back to the reality of this beautiful world made ugly by our neglect and abuse.

We debated what to do next. We decided to take a bath at the bathing ghat near the temple. I took one look at the state of the river Ganga. Mother Ganga, which is considered to be the holiest of holy rivers. She has the power to wash away the sins of all those who bathe and pray in the river. I could not but help feel that the Holy Ganga was herself being overpowered by the sinners and the pollution we humans had created.

There was so much debris floating near the banks that devotees had to push the rubbish away to find a clear patch in the water in which to bathe. I balked at bathing or even touching the Ganga’ s water because I was not yet willing to believe. However Arjunan and Swanand calmly disrobed and after clothing themselves in 'dhotis' waded into the river and offered their prayers while taking a dip in the holy Ganga.

The terrible state of the Ganga is an example of human selfishness and apathy. We seek salvation but we cannot even provide the basic courtesy so required to take the first step in this direction. I swore that I would do something about this situation and decided to devote some part of my life to preserving the environment and our cultural values.

I sought to continue our discussion on spirituality and religion and the meaning of life, but the pressure of the appointment in Allahabad meant I had to leave with my doubts unanswered. Reluctantly I bid adieu to my new found friends and drove off to Allahabad.

Many questions nagged me until nearly three years later I met Sant Baba Ishwar Singh ji of Dheradun. I sought his guidance on religion and spirituality. I have summarised what I learnt and wish to share it with you.

• There is, but one God.

• He is known by many names. The names being given by people as they have learnt of Him and how they have experienced His greatness.

• He is not like a human being but is energy manifest in this universe.

• There are countless religions, but all religions are merely roads to reach Him.

• To merge and be one with Him should be our aim.

• However we forget the destination and our stuck on our various roads. We fight for religion but not truth, each religion claiming that "my God is better than your God", and "my road is better than your road" etc.

• Organised religions are ever growing and powerful institutions serving to fulfil mainly political and social needs. Performing rituals for birth and death, marriages and separations, acquisitions and losses, etc. Religion has come to be associated with power, greed arrogance and falsehoods.

• Religion has become materialistic and at best offering superficial solace to the masses, often failing to touch the soul or the consciousness.

• Organised religion as practiced nowadays is a hijacked and distorted version of the teachings of Gurus, Prophets, Messiahs, and Saviours.

• Religion which was meant to bring people closer to one another and to God had actually caused great divisions between men and distanced humanity from God.

On spirituality and spiritual beings he said;
• Spirituality means love, compassion, tolerance, friendship and contentment with what we have and with the universe in which we exist.

• Spiritual beings do not follow a particular religion save that of truth. They do not believe in dogma and rituals, they will spread joy and peace wherever they go, for the Lord travels with them.

• All people, creatures and nature are precious to the spiritual being.

• A spiritual person never gets provoked into anger.

• Spiritual people do good things and help others without expecting anything in return, for they know it is not their own doing they are only doing God's bidding.


If something is burning we can pour water to cool it off, or we can find and eliminate the cause of the burning. Religion is like water thrown on an inextinguishable fire. Spirituality on the other hand removes the burning caused by fire of hate, greed, false ego etc.

I was until not long ago a bad guy, but the good thing is I knew I was bad and I needed to change. I consciously tried to change my nature, but always relapsed because our sub-conscious is much more powerful than the conscious mind.


With the blessing of Babaji my spiritual teacher and guide, I have changed considerably for the better, because my core has changed. I no longer struggle to be something I am not. I hope and pray that you too are as lucky as I have been.

7 comments:

  1. Vasant Khisty said

    Dear GS

    I agree in totality

    ReplyDelete
  2. Madhu Kumta said
    Gurvinder, this is great!
    Language, style and such things are only the “packaging”. The best part of your writing is not this packaging, but what is packed inside it. I liked it.
    Keep it up.

    Madhu Kumta

    ReplyDelete
  3. Priti Quinn said
    This is much better Rene, though I was disappointed you did not continue your journey ......and let us know how & when you 'got spiritual'.
    LOL
    Bam

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sudhir Tandon said

    Excellent GSP - we surround ourselves with various rituals and religious paraphernalia that we forget that we are human beings first and hindus, Sikhs, Muslims, etc. later.

    In Kalyaninagar we have a small Ganpati Temple - I have seen people of all faiths come to the temple and seek the elephant God's blessings in the morning to have a good start to the day!!
    sudhir

    ReplyDelete
  5. AC Shukla said
    One must understand that religion came after man where as spirituality preceded mankind.
    Religion therefore is full of the weaknesses of mankind.
    Do not underestimate or put down religion. For it is religion that provides the first step for humanity to travel on the spiritual journey.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Joseph Hertz said

    My dear friend,
    I am happy to accept whatever you post or send to me.
    It's very interesting.

    You write about things that many people pass through them or think of them but did not dare write them.

    Your openness and sharing is very impressive and touching all levels a person goes for life.

    I hope you will eventually publish a book that many people will enjoy to read and learn from it.
    Jo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thirtharaj Khot said;

    Dear GS,
    Wonderful..... I am always delighted and enriched to read your blogs.

    I am always reminded of you when I enter Datta on Express way, where we met.

    ReplyDelete

Entrepreneurs, professionals and entrefessional

I will digress here to explain my analysis of the difference between entreprenuers professionals & entrefessionals.  I don't really...