19 October 2013

Smile


Most of my friends and all of my family believe me to be eccentric, like a billionaire just without the billions. Come to think of it, the world can be an amazing place if you are a bit eccentric.

The gift of life is so fascinating that it can be regarded as one giant laboratory. Everyday presents numerous opportunities to increase both my knowledge and appreciation of people.

I love life and all that it offers. Maybe that is why it is easy for me to smile and laugh. I often smile at strangers sitting in their cars and bikes stuck in traffic or at traffic signals. Here is what I discovered.



Most people and I connect for a few seconds and a smile grows on their faces, sometimes we exchange greetings, or even have a very brief conversation.

Probably being more relaxed, passengers tend to be more interactive than drivers.
Toddlers and young children are the most receptive and invariably smile back. They continue to gawk, smile and wave until I move out of sight.



Youngsters between 10 to 20 years of age are most reluctant to respond. They mostly look at me with the expression "I know people like you, who try to be friendly but are actually dangerous". This I attribute, to loss of innocence. They have begun to learn that the world is far from ideal and most adults cannot be trusted.



Young adults and middle aged people are too preoccupied chasing tasks and problems in their lives to acknowledge the existence of humanity and life. They are mostly dismissive, because if you are being nice to them, you probably want something therefore you can't be of any consequence.
The elderly are glad that their existence is acknowledged. Sometimes they get confused but most often they beam a smile, and are most chatty.

Officials of all kinds and people in expensive vehicles usually have a scowl on their face. They invariably have a frown and almost always give me that look that says, "What in hell, is the matter with you?" I can't get it.  had money and power why do they appear unhappy?

Here are some quotes on smile.

  • A smile is a curve that straightens things out.
  • A smile is the shortest distance between two hearts.
  • It takes 6 muscles to smile and 120 muscles to frown.
  • It is easy to conceal your grief but impossible to hide one's joy, a sign of a happy spirit.

The end of my experiments always leaves me with more questions than when I started. Maybe I am a lousy researcher, but who cares? I am celebrating life.
I realise that, I am not a human on a spiritual journey but a spirit on a human journey.

Keep Smiling









15 comments:

  1. Hi Gurvinder,
    Your article made me smile, because I'm seeing me in your shoes. A smile is for free, it doesn't cost anything but a short effort of the heart but you live a sign of yourself in people you meet.
    Take care
    Fiorella

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Fiorella,

    Women often tell me that if they smile too often, men sometimes misunderstand it as an invitation of sorts and that can be sometimes inconvenient.
    Keep smiling I say but sometimes not
    Cheers

    Gurvinder

    ReplyDelete
  3. Prakash Said;

    Agree with you.
    I remember a quote too...

    A smile is a frown
    turned upside down.

    Cheers and Happy Diwali!

    Prakash Kalavar (pkalavar42@hotmail.com)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Prakash ji,

    I loved the quote.
    I hope to use it in my personal life and to share with my readers also.

    Have a great Diwali and a wonderful year.

    Regards

    Gurvinder

    ReplyDelete
  5. Zahir Meher-Homji said,

    Well written mate.
    I do smile at strangers but some people think im nuts ...lots just smile back. Smile at too many kids and they think you may be a paedophile !!
    California is a wonderfully friendly place for smiles and hellos. Love being there.
    Catch up in Feb. Im in town for 4 days.
    Z

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mahesh said,

    Respected Mr. Gurvinder Singh,

    Thanks for sharing some valuable thoughts in past and now this one.
    Appreciate efforts for encouraging people known and unknown personally to you.

    Thanks & Regards
    Mahesh Bodhankar
    mahesh@macocorporation.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mr. Kumta said,


    Dear Gurvinder,
    How well do I know that Guru is not at all crazy!
    Just keep smiling.

    Madhukar Kumta
    Mumbai.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Zabeen said,


    Thank you :)

    zabeenadnan@gmail .com


    Mark Twain
    the most interesting information comes from children, for they tell all they know and then stop.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Abhay said,


    Gurvinder,

    One of my beliefs in life is – you haven’t really lived life fully, and enjoyed it, unless you have had at least one good friend who is a sardar and one who is a parsi. Your personality lends itself to both.

    I am sure you are spreading fun and joy into many lives. Keep it up.

    Warm regards

    Nadkarni Abhay
    Dubai

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Abhay,

    How I have longed to hear from you?
    My prayers always get answered but God always answers my prayers with a twist in them.
    I am sure, you meant my being a combination of Sardar & Bawa as a compliment.
    Shows that your belief system is great.
    You can never ignore us for we never flet you orget us.

    I hope things are going well for you. I am having a ball and hope we can meet up soon.

    Good Luck and God Bless

    Gurvinder

    ReplyDelete
  11. Abhishek,

    - Every day you awaken, thank the universe out there for all the comforts, benefits and blessings you have in your life.

    - Each new day that we live is a blessing, a good fortune, a lucky gift, an opportunity and offering given to us - to strive afresh, anew, once again, all over again - a fresh, brand new start to our life. Each new day is not a given right, something to be taken for granted or lightly.

    - The truth shall set you free.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sanjiv said,

    Nice One!!!

    Narang Sanjiv (narang@vsnl.com)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mr. Monie said,

    Dear Gurvinder,

    SMILE...and the whole world smiles with you,and when you are laughing the whole world laughs with you.Part of a famous song sung by Frank Sinatra.

    B.Monie/Dubai
    13.11.'13
    "B. Monie" (balumonie@hotmail.com)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dear Mr. Monie,

    MISSING THE HAPPY SMILE OF THE MONIES.
    Hope to see you soon.

    Gurvinder

    Wear a smile and have friends; wear a scowl and have wrinkles. - George Eliot

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ashok said;

    Gurvinder Ji,

    Brings back fond memories from 1972 / ’73 of my Air India days.

    Dennis was the ‘Master’ of that mischievous smile sitting on the back of my JAVA (MRI 747 – with AI Centaur Logo below the seat) as we rode into town from Pali Hill in morning traffic and people giving us the ‘birdie’ as they tried to get ahead of us. We’d catch up at traffic light and Dennis would do his magic smile with his eyes saying ‘bus kya’. He had them smiling without saying a word to them. That was the beauty of that encounter – one that I’ll never forget. How Naraj can be turned into Khushee with just a smile. Clearly, your dear Mother’s shared this DNA. . .Lucky Fellows, you.

    BTW – nothing eccentric here. Mother Teresa said: ‘Peace begins with a Smile.’

    Jite raho, Beta.


    Ashok Chirayath (ashok@pentamatch.com)

    ReplyDelete

Entrepreneurs, professionals and entrefessional

I will digress here to explain my analysis of the difference between entreprenuers professionals & entrefessionals.  I don't really...